Wednesday, October 8, 2014

8 in 30 for 30

I'm already sounding like a broken record.

I'm encountering wisdom again in Proverbs. I'm not calling Scripture broken, because it certainly is not.

Nevertheless, it is certainly a reminder how much we forget about the value of wisdom.
- We know not to touch the hot stove top.
- We know we should pay our taxes on time.
- We know it's a bad idea to write exegesis papers at the last minute.
- We know that no one in their right mind should root for the Yankees.
- We know not to EVER ask a woman if they're pregnant or not.
And the list can go on forever.

In Proverbs 8, here's something we learn about Godly wisdom: It's been there since the beginning. The creativity and common sense of creation was formed by the wisdom of God... and we're being asked to cling to it like a baby to their favorite blanket.
"The LORD brought me forth as the first of his works, before his deeds of old; I was formed long ages ago, at the very beginning, when the world came to be." v. 22-23
Speaking of babies, my younger older sister just had her first child on Tuesday night. My niece is going to change my sister and her husband's life forever. I know my sister will do her best to bestow wisdom on my niece, whether she likes it or not (I have a feeling, based on her behavior at birth and during the pregnancy, that she'll be a stubborn child, but that's just me).
My sister is not perfect, not like God or his wisdom. But she certainly has experience, and that will be valuable to my niece.
God knows what's going on. He sees our struggles. He's actually experienced them through Christ. He can empathize with us.

How are you not drawn to someone who's been there for a long time?

No comments: