Friday, October 24, 2014

24 in 30 for 30

"Another one bites the dust."

I know. It's the title to a classic Queen song, but that's not what I'm talking about.

This phrase has stuck in my mind because someone said this to me, with a smile on their face, after Ted Kennedy died.

Disclaimer: I'm not politically inclined. I know, I should probably be a little more invested informing myself on what's going on in the country where I live, but I'll be like, "I love chickens," too. Not very useful.

The reason why "another one bites the dust" stuck in my brain was because this individual had so much glee in it. Yes, Ted Kennedy doesn't exactly scream out "saint." To say he's had a questionable morality in his political career is putting it very lightly... all circumstantial of course. But... someone died. Death is not something to be celebrated.

Look, I know I'm probably digging myself a hole several people want to put me in, but we all know it: We're highly annoyed by the political rants, messages, audio/video clips, because if I'm allowed to be honest, you're just tooting your own horn. Then the social media arguments happen, and then it just goes downhill from there.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when they stumble, do not let your heart rejoice, or the LORD will see and disapprove and turn his wrath away from them." - Proverbs 24:17-18
From that particular day when Ted Kennedy died, it's been in my brain because this individual, a brother in Christ, seems to have his priorities backwards, in my mind.

Most political frustrations I've seen on social media or the sarcastic remarks heard among friends about the political climate seem to be in the same way. I always think, "where exactly does your heart lie? Where's your hope found?"

Is our American government broken? Yes, and I think everyone agrees. But from what I've seen on either side "of the aisle," there's either an over reliance on the government to fix things, or remove the government control and hand it back to the people (translation: individualistic freedoms to do what you want).

If you're a believer, do you pray for those whom you disagree with politically? Let's go one step further... do you pray WITH them? How can you? You disagree with each other. You probably shouldn't even be in the same room! But that kind of reminds me of other people who shouldn't be in the same room:

The Church.

The Church is the most diverse group of people you'll ever encounter. If you gather every true follower of Christ around the world, you'll be all over the map; politically, culturally, etc.

The priority of the Church is my concern. We've been commissioned to spread the Gospel. The Good News. To all corners.

The challenge is this: If we're so tied up in making sure our political, legalist, or chocolate-milk-on-Friday agenda becomes reality, does that mean the Kingdom of Jesus takes a back seat?

I mourn a little for my friend who made that statement regarding Ted Kennedy, because that kind of attitude completely undermines his witness to others. Look, there are times where our speech must be convicting and correct wrongs that are against God's design. I'm all about that. Jesus was, too.

Think and act with wisdom... the whole point of the Gospel according to Proverbs. Everyone deserves an opportunity to know what Jesus is like, and you might be the only opportunity for them to get a glimpse.

No comments: