Sunday, October 26, 2014

26 in 30 for 30

This is my little brother, Uno.

Yes, he's a German Shepherd... with a Spanish name... owned by a Chinese family. We're diverse like that.

I love him. He's my buddy. I really wish I can have him with me at school, but I can't afford to keep him nor do I have the space to contain his energy.

He's over 2 years old, pure bred, and playful, active, and very friendly.

My mom is his primary caregiver. My dad got Uno for my mom for the purpose of keeping her company while he's on his long missions trips. My mom doesn't exactly share my enthusiasm for Uno, but she's warming up to the idea.

We all contributed, with the help of obedience school, training him. He knows how to sit, lie down, dropping items, heeling, fetch (though he gets bored of "fetch" easily). However, he loves pushing the boundaries with my mom. It's instinctual for him to see if he can be the Alpha male or head honcho of the family. Though he's much stronger than my mom, he clearly underestimates her powers. I know. I've experienced her powers.

Regardless of his training, he still does some pretty foolish things, as most dogs do. It's natural for him to do so.

I don't know why I'm thinking of Uno and this particular scenario when it comes to Proverbs 26. There are a few references to dogs, and they aren't exactly flattering allegories. When describing a fool, or one who follows Folly, they are, among other acute descriptions, "As a dog returns to its vomit, so fools repeat their folly." (v. 11)

This was an emphatic visual while at a youth camp in high school. While divided in teams, one of the games was to come up with an acted out miming of a Bible verse (I know, we're so edgy). One of my best buds was in the this group. While they performed, he was on his hands and knees crawling around. With a little bit of help from the camp kitchen/dishroom... yep, you guess it... they mimed Proverbs 26:11. It was gross.

I can't help but think that we do that, too. No, I hope none of you vomit then return to it to eat it up. That's straight up nasty.

What I'm saying is that we're foolish people. Old habits die hard. We return to the ugliness of our sin sometimes... and it makes us feel shameful. Back in ancient times, dogs were unclean and not looked upon as "household pets." We think that sometimes we just "fall" back into sin... we aren't responsible.
King David was a pretty wise person... yet clearly, he didn't "fall" into Bathsheba and "accidentally" kill her husband Uriah.
King Solomon was the wisest man on earth, bestowed the wisdom of the Lord. And yet, he gave into the world's ways of polygamy and the worship of idols. He didn't fall into it.

We're foolish people. We see it all the time all over the news every night.

And yet... for those who claim Jesus as their LORD, King, Savior.... we are no longer defined by our foolishness. We no longer bear the guilt, as Jesus took our sin on the cross! I'm grateful that God can call me His son, despite my foolishness, because he sees Jesus in me.

Foolishness makes us feel exactly that: foolish. Shamed. Despised. This is how the Enemy works. He isolates us, lies to us, and then comes down on us with a hammer.

But know this: If you know Jesus, and you declare Him your Lord... He has you. And He won't let go.

That's not foolishness.... that's grace.

No comments: