Thursday, October 2, 2014

2 in 30 for 30

Kronk isn't exactly the first person most people think of when it comes to wisdom, or just plain common sense.
He's clumsy.
Not the brightest.
Lacks tact and subtle execution.

And yet I couldn't help but think of scenes like this after reading Proverbs 2 this morning:

"My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you... then you will understand the fear of the Lord... Then you will understand what is right and just and fair - every good path. For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul." Prov. 2:1; 5; 9-10

The quote from Emperor's New Groove that always gets me is this scene:

"He's trying to lead you down the 'path of righteousness,' I'm going to lead you down the path that ROCKS!"

Isn't that how we think? No, we don't have tiny self-incarnated, tiny angels and demons on our shoulders guiding our thoughts, but we certainly seek to justify our decisions with "The Path That Rocks."

This world has a lot to offer. It's enticing.

Sex is at the forefront of almost every piece of media we consume.
In our Western world, Fame and Fortune sit in the check-out racks of our grocery stores.
Our intuitive, creative minds find very easy ways to take shortcuts in our work.

I can go on.

The focus is on ourselves, at least the culture I live in. It's all about myself. It's "TREAT YO SELF" to the hundredth degree. I'm not saying that you can't "treat yo self" at all, but there's a reason why there are huge gaps between the poor and rich, and why there are more slaves in our world than ever before.

Man and women decided that they don't think God knows best. Many of us believe that God's wisdom found in Scripture is archaic, out-dated, and not progressive.

And yet, I think we all know the truth. All of these things in the world will satisfy only for a short while.
They will never last.
"Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men, from men whose words are perverse, who have left the straight paths to walk in dark ways, who delight in doing wrong and rejoice in the perverseness of evil, whose paths are crooked and who are devious in their ways." Prov 2:12-15
Many of us would justify this, saying, "I'm not that bad. I'm not Hitler or Floyd Mayweather or Roger Goodell. I don't pursue power like those guys do."

But ultimately, we do. All of us. Our good intentions are stained with evil. We're selfish creatures... and the selfishness will lead to our destruction.

Thank God for grace through Jesus on the cross. Somehow, in 29+ years, Jesus has kept me away from making horrible choices. Was I sheltered as a child? Yeah, I'll agree, but that doesn't take away from knowing who I am and my vices.

I need God's wisdom. I need Jesus' kingship. The next three decades will be quite grim without Him.
"Thus you will walk in the ways of the good and keep to the paths of the righteous. For the upright will live in the land, and the blameless will remain in it; but the wicked will be cut off from the land, and the unfaithful will be torn from it." Prov 2:20-22

No comments: